Thursday, January 04, 2007

QSLs

You know, one of the tedious parts of ham radio for those of us who are contesters is the QSLs. For me, as I am adding to my totals for DXCC and other awards, I need those confirmations. Unfortunately, I have made a number of contacts during 2006 (something on the order of 3,000 or so). That is a lot of cards. Fortunately, LotW has helped with the domestic cards. Unfortunately, not everyone is participating. I must admit that the security seems at times to be to be quite unnecessary and I think that the hoops that you must jump through to use the system is keeping many hams from using it. I currently have over 5,000 QSLs in LotW, but only 900 confirmed. Then, foreign stations have to jump through even more hoops, so many DXpeditions do not use the service. If there was some way for the League to make things easier for the DX community, I think that there would be more usage.

OK, I am off my soapbox now.......

No comments: