Thursday, January 18, 2007

The field trip


Here they are....two VIP's. My elmer (W3MGL) and a legend in contesting, Bob Morris, W4MYA. The first record I have of working Bob in a contest was in 1994. He has won numerous contests and ranks in the top ten of hundreds more. It was exciting to see his operation. He runs 7 stations, each dedicated to one band, so there are no antenna tuners. He has them all networked and has an impressive seven towers!!!! He also has numerous wire antennas. I hear him many times during contests and his signals are always booming here (of course!). Bob was a gracious host and even allowed Larry to work VU7RG while he was there. I felt like a young child sitting in the presence of a professor. Bob is very knowledgable and I was honored when he offered me a seat in the upcoming ARRL International DX contest - SSB in March. So, if all goes well, I will be at an awsome station for that contest. I am still enjoying the pleasure of spending time with one of the legends in radiosporting.

3 comments:

Vitor e Ana said...

Nice picture and nice guy to visit... It´s impossible to count how much QSOs I have at my logbook with W4MYA! I had chance to sit with him at Dayton DX Dinner years several years ago !! (PY2NY)

Vitor e Ana said...

Nice visit and nice pictures. I have several contacts with Bob and had chance to sit down together with him several years ago at Dayton DX Dinner!

W4TMN said...

Yes, I have a number of QSO's with Bob also, even though we are fairly close. But, I have also a number of QSO's in the log with PY2NY also!!!!