Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A new rig!!!

Well, I decided that it was probably not worth getting the Kenwood TS-440S repaired as the cost of repairs would most likely be more than the value of the radio.  So, I decided instead to see about getting another rig.  In speaking with one of our local club members, he said he had just put up on our e-mail list two rigs he was offering for sale.  I talked with him about them and decided to go take a look. I was in no hurry for a rig because I still had Larry’s IC-718 at the house to use until I got another rig, so there was no pressure.  The choice was between an IC-718 and a Kenwood TS-570D.  I already knew about the 718, so I gave the 570 a try.  Of course, being familiar with Kenwood products, it was an easy learning curve.  Well, needless to say, I went home with the 570D.  I plugged it in and got started.  Band conditions were terrible but I was able to work a new one (Greenland) and work New Zealand on 20 meters fairly late in the evening.  Since then, I have not had much time to work on the radio, but hopefully I will get some time to enjoy a little radio this coming weekend.  I think Larry is just as excited as I am about the new radio and he keeps asking me if I have been playing with it a lot, but I have just not been able to carve out enough time or band conditions to make any serious attempts at working DX with it, yet……

 

So, let’s hope for more sunspots, better band conditions and some free time!!!!

No comments: