Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The FCC's latest R&O

I have been reading a bunch of handwringing from people crying that the removal of the Morse requirement for licensing will bring about the end of ham radio. I have mixed feelings about the issue.

It is true that the removal of Morse will bring more people into the hobby. Some of those will be of a less than stellar quality, just like a cross-section of our society. But, I do not see us moving along the path towards CB radio. We are a self-policing group and the FCC still has an enforcement bureau. I do not forsee the FCC throwing up its hands and walking away from amateur radio like it has done with CB radio. Anyone who tries to hold out that we who are currently in the hobby are role models for what the amateur radio service should be have not listened to some of the rubbish down on 80 meters at night. I am embarrassed by what I have have heard there. But, thankfully, I have seen the FCC enforcement actions against some of these characters.

We must admit that our hobby is growing grayer. I am middle aged and am often one of the youngest hams at our local radio club meeting. We seriously need an infusion of new (and younger blood) into the hobby. It is up to those of us who have been licensed for a while to become elmers to our newer licensees and in this way we can prevent some of those bad habits that have been so feared in the past. Each of us (other than the embarrassing people mentioned earlier) have a part to play in the future of our hobby. Each of us has a particular portion of this hobby that we have become specialized in. Some of us focus on emergency communications while others focus on DXing and contesting. Others love the digital modes, while others love CW and have forgotten where their microphone is. Some have forgotten the code and focused on SSB. Our hobby is limitless and as Dave Bushong says it is truly 99 hobbies rolled up into one.

I unfortunately have forgotten the code by not using it and that is my fault. I was out of the hobby for a number of years (7, in fact) and never even turned on a radio during that time. But, now I am back and I am working on my code skills. Code may not be required for licensing, but I know there are many DXpeditions that spend more time on CW than on SSB. Since I want to enjoy the fullness of my specialities (DXing and contesting), I need to keep the code in my skills. So, over the next few months I will be working at improving my code skills and even taking the plunge and doing some CW contests.

So, in my humble opinion, they may take away the requirement for code for licensing, but the code will not be going away anytime soon!!!

No comments: