Saturday, February 10, 2007

Interesting item

I was reading Jeff's (KE9V) blog, Long Delayed Echos and he just put up a post about the HPS-1a Gamma HybridCommunications Power Supply. It sounds pretty intriguing and might make a great addition to my hopefully portable operations in the future. I will have to save up my money and see if I can afford one in the future. Of course, I have to weigh it against my needs. I have not done that much portable operation from the road. When I am travelling, it is usually with the family or for a work activity that does not often lend itself talking on the radio much. Allyson and the family did tolerate me doing some operation from Tennessee last year when we were visiting with my mother. I used Larry's portable setup for that and it worked great. Now that I have the Buddipole system, that eliminates the needs for wire antennas with the exception of the 80 meter band and I can even get a set of coils for that now. So, I might eliminate the wire antenna altogether. It is interesting item and something that I really need to consider in the future. Jeff appears to like it and I have found him to be a reliable source of information, even though he is more of a CW person than I am. I do hope that one day, he and I will get a chance to have a QSO, especially since I am working on getting my CW skills back up to a usable level again after the long period of their lack of use.

No comments: