Saturday, September 09, 2006

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Well, the tribander went into the air today!!!!! Joe (WC4R) and Larry (W3MGL) came over to the house along with a couple of my friends from church Christian and Ron. Ron brought his wife, Lori, with him. Allyson and Lori really helped out a lot during the critical stage of raising the mast to the full height. Allyson steadied the ladder I was on and Lori kept the mast from moving while Ron and I put it up to full height. Joe and Christian manned the guy lines and the whole operation took less than an hour. Joe and I shot the antenna launcher and got the end of the G5RV back into the air. So, now I am up with 2 antennas. I had to give the tribander a try even though I did not have the rotor connected yet. I was shooting north over the Pole and wound up working Germany, Iceland, and Wales, so I was quite pleased. You can definitely hear a difference with the tribander, even though it was not pointed towards Europe, but over the pole. Tomorrow, I have to do the final work on the mast and get the rotor cables hooked up. Larry wants to be here the first time I rotate the mast, so I might just hold off on that until Monday. It was so good to be back on the air again!!!!! Look for pictures of the new installation soon.

No comments: