Thursday, November 22, 2007

November Sweeps!!

Well, Sweepstakes is now over. I have become strictly a SSB contester. Not because I want to, but because of the limitations I have with time to work on getting my code knowledge back and then up to speed to work a contest. But even though I am missing out on half of the fun of contesting, I am still having a blast!

My goal this year was simple. It was just to beat last year's score. I had almost done that by the time I left for church on Sunday morning. I was just a few QSOs shy of reaching my goal. I was able to get a good run going in the lower end of 80 meters and wound up with a nice total which is my personal best in Sweepstakes:

Summary:
Band QSOs
------------
160: 0
80: 466
40: 73
20: 73
15: 3
10: 0
------------
Total: 615 Sections = 74 Total Score = 91,020

As you can see, the number of QSOs are rather lopsided. 80 was definitely the band this year. 20 meters was great for DX, but not much stateside. 40 was full of foreign broadcasts and QRM. I was able to find a couple of holes in 80, plant myself and start running. I only had a short run of about 70 qso/hr. For the most part, it was more like 30/hr. It was tough finding somewhere to be. On Sunday, I went down to 80 early looking for a spot above 3800 to get all of the general class operators. I was at 3839 for a while and started to get a good run going when all of the sudden I started getting QRM from both sides. People were sliding up and down the band to find places where they could avoid QRM and I was getting pinched between them. My little 100W was no match for them. Pretty soon, I got crowded out.

I moved down to the lower end of the band and found another nice hole. All of the sudden, a well known ham started calling CQ right on top of me without even asking if the frequency was in use. It got so bad that I could no longer pull anyone out. I told one caller that I was going to QSY up to get away from it and he told me to do so and he would find me. I moved up 3 kHz and planted myself to the end of the contest. I did not have any more problems after that.

WX3B spotted me and got me a few more QSOs in the log. I did not know that I had been spotted until after the contest when I fired up the packet cluster to see if the PVRC was having an on-air meeting somewhere.

This score was my personal best and it was a lot of fun.

There were some moments during the contest that made it memorable. One was working KT0R. Dave died back in September and a number of his friends were operating in his honor using his call. I always worked Dave and his call is one of the most frequent domestic calls in my log. Another moment was working Paul, N4PN. Paul has a distinctive voice and I know who it is from just hearing his voice. He always sounds glad to hear me and greets me by name. He always encourages me. He is a wonderful contester and was running them hard on 40 meters when I heard him. Another old friend is Bob, W4MYA. Bob is a local (VA) contester that I had the pleasure of spending time with in the spring. He stopped running for a few minutes to ask how I was doing and how Larry (W3MGL) was doing. Bob is another one that always greets me by name and encourages me. Lastly, the contest moment: I had never run stations during SS before. I was always S&P. On early Sunday morning, I am running stations when I hear K1AR calling me!!! Now, normally it is me calling John. So, it made me feel kinda good that one of the world's best contesters was calling me and my little 100W and wire antenna.

Another great moment was hearing a true local contester (as in the same little town and not more than 5 miles away) working stations. Dave, K4DGW, has gotten the bug! Dave is mainly a CW guy, but he was working them hard during this one. I recruited Dave for the PVRC and it was so cool hearing him scoring points. I never got a chance to work him, but I did send him a text message during the contest letting him know how many Qs and Mults I had, but that doesn't count!!!

All I can say is that I exceeded my goal of beating last year's score handily. It was good to take a mental break and have fun. I needed it!!!

No comments: