Thursday, August 31, 2006

Glad the weekend is over

Well, I definitely had an interesting weekend. Saturday, my family returned home and we had the tribander lying in the back yard ready to put on the 30 foot mast. I did operate a little bit in the Ohio QSO Party also. Monday, Larry (W3MGL) and I got things ready for Dave (W9NNK) and John (K6OWD) to help us put it in the air on Tuesday. On Tuesday, things started out pretty good. We got things together and then we found we needed better anchors for the guys. From there, things went downhill. John was not feeling well and had to leave us. Larry is a lot of moral support and a great source of knowledge, but at 80 years old, he is not much for helping with the physical labor! Dave suggested that we try another approach for lifting the mast with the antenna on it. So, I am going to make a saddle for a rope to ride over my roof and we are going to effectively use my house as a gin pole to raise the mast. Right now, with the holiday coming up, it looks like the earliest we could do it will be on the Saturday after Labor Day. So, still in good shape for contests!!! I am hoping to make the saddle this weekend, especially since it looks like it is going to be very rainy with the remnants of Ernesto travelling overhead. Then I am going to put out a general call out to the club for bodies. Hopefully, that evening we will have the tribander in the air!!!!

No comments: